Coinbase vs. Binance.US staking: The biggest differences
With staking, you can earn extra cash by storing certain amounts of cryptocurrencies. However, most platforms require you to have a minimum balance of each asset to begin staking, and this varies by both asset and exchange.
When it comes to Coinbase and Binance.US, both exchanges have a fairly limited selection of assets that you can stake. In addition, while the two exchanges vary when it comes to the cryptocurrencies and assets that are available for staking, Binance.US offers higher staking rewards.
But Coinbase is arguably a better choice for beginners who value educational resources and want to earn additional rewards from programs like Coinbase Earn. Plus, Coinbase also pays out rewards more frequently than Binance.US.
Are Coinbase’s staking rewards right for you?
Staking is a popular way to passively earn crypto by simply holding on to minimum balances of certain cryptocurrencies. And at Coinbase, you can stake multiple assets without paying any fees. The reward amounts and payout rates vary per cryptocurrency, and you’ll only need at least $1 to get started.
Coinbase offers rewards for the following cryptocurrencies:
- Ethereum: 4.50% interest rate; daily payout rate
- Algorand: 4.00%; daily payout rate
- Cosmos: 5.00%; payout every seven days
- Tezos: 4.63%; payout every three days
- Dai: 2.00%; daily payout rate
- USD coin: 0.15%; monthly payout rate
Are Binance.US’s staking rewards right for you?
Like Coinbase, Binance.US supports staking for several coins. Plus, for each coin, rewards are typically calculated daily and paid monthly, and the crypto exchange charges zero fees for staking. But the two exchanges differ when it comes to which assets you can stake.
Binance’s staking rewards apply to the following cryptocurrencies:
- QTUM: 1-2%; rewards distributed monthly
- EOS: 0.5% – 1.0%; rewards distributed monthly
- ONE: 2% – 3%; rewards distributed monthly
- Vechain: 1% – 3%; rewards distributed monthly
- XTZ: 6% – 7%; rewards distributed monthly
- ATOM: 6% – 9%; rewards distributed monthly
- ALGO: 8% – 10%; rewards distributed monthly
If you want to start or stop staking, you can do so at any time. This is because there isn’t a lock-up period (certain amount of time you’re required to hold/stake assets at Binance.US). However, if you plan to stop staking and withdraw your assets, there is a 24 hour wait period that helps Binance.US ensure that balances are accurately accounted for during its daily staking calculations.